So after living in denial for longer than I expected, I finally caved and picked up an iPad (wifi only, 64gb — Rogers, my data provider, can eat [dirt] if they think I’m buying a second iDevice data plan). Anyhow, it’s really quite fantastic except for one notable and surprising thing: the App Store just completely sucks. It’s just awful — impossible to browse for anything, navigation is a joke, etc etc.
If you want to find apps, you basically have to rely on third party review sites. Here are three that I’m finding handy: App Shopper (great, everything), Touch Arcade (ok, just games), and 148 Apps (mediocre, everything).
We got the iPads on Thursday last week and I’ve been spending quite a bit of time trying new apps, games, etc etc. Here’s a quick list of stuff I love so far (all links go directly to iTunes, sorry).
- Air Video ($2.99 but worth much, much more)
- Evernote (free)
- Dictionary.com/Thesaurus.com (free)
- Wikipanion (free)
- GoodReader ($0.99)
- Twitteriffic (free)
- Things ($19.99)
- Instapaper Pro ($4.99)
- Kindle (free)
- Stanza (new iPad version, free)
- Epicurious (free)
- Adobe Ideas (free)
- WordPress (free)
- Dizzypad HD (free + not-free alternate game modes)
- Aurora Feint 3 (free: match-3-w/ rpg elements)
- Word Quest Plus ($4.99: wordsearch)
- Words With Friends HD ($2.99: Scrabble-alike w/ online play)
- Jumbline 2 ($2.99: word scramble game)
- NYT Crosswords (free)
- Amazon: Hidden Expedition ($4.99: hidden object)
- Bomb Master ($1.99: physics puzzler)
- Azkend HD ($4.99: match-3-ish sort of thing – free demo here)
- Orbital HD ($2.99: hard to describe)
- Backgammon NJ HD ($5.99, single-player only, very good)
Ok, that’s it for now. What iPad apps have you tried that you like and would recommend?
Updated to add Air Video.