Sort of made this up as I went. Serves four or so? We have leftovers.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, but tasty)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 med carrots, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 2 lg stalks celery, sliced
- 6 small potatoes, quartered
- 1 md zucchini, sliced
- 1 c cabbage, sliced
- 1 19oz tin diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1/2 c water or vegetable stock
- 1 14oz tin white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 c cooked barley (hulled, not pearled)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes and saute for a couple of minutes. Add carrots, celery, and sliced cabbage, and saute for a few more minutes. Toss in potatoes, saute for a little longer.
- Pour in diced tomatoes and juices, and add water. Heat to just boiling, then turn down to med-low and simmer for 30 mins or so (until everything is cooked through).
- Add drained and rinsed kidney beans and cooked barley, stir and leave on low for another 10-15 mins to heat everything through.
- Salt & pepper to taste. Optionally serve with freshly grated parmagiana cheese (it’s yummy).