- 3 fresh hot italian sausages
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, green + white parts only, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme (or 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cup mixed cooked grains*
- Cook sausages in a 4 qt (or so) pot until done. Remove to a plate and slice into bite-sized pieces. Set aside for now.
- Add oil to the pot and heat over med. Toss in the leeks, onion, garlic, celery, pepper flakes, and thyme. Saute for 7-8 mins.
- Return sliced sausages to the pot, and saute for another 2-3 mins.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice. Heat until simmering then turn down to low. Simmer on low for 30 mins or so.
- Add beans and grains and continue to simmer for at least 20-30 mins. Longer is better.
That’s it. Excellent vehicle for cholula sauce and crusty buns.
* I do a 2:2:1 combo mixed grains of quinoa:hulled barley:wild rice. It’s crazy yummy and useful for lots of things.