Whipped this up in under an hour (mostly simmering time) using nothing but pantry items. Alternate name would be “Simple Weeknight Chili”.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 14oz can kidney beans
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- Medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder (the Penzeys stuff is really good)
- Pinch dried oregano
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef over medium heat in a medium stockpot, drain and rinse. Drain and rinse beans. Put empty pot back on the heat, add butter, onions, and garlic. Saute for 5-6 mins. Toss in chili powder, oregano, salt + pepper and continue frying for a couple of minutes. Stuff will stick to the bottom a bit, but that’s ok — it will come off later.
- Add browned meat, beans, and tomatoes (including juices). Stir and heat until simmering. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 25-35 minutes (or longer if you want — the longer you simmer, the more the tomatoes will break down). Done.
Serve with crusty bread and a beer.