I love strawberries. I love all berries really, but local perfectly-ripe strawberries (the smaller the better) are just about the best thing ever. The only drawback of strawberry season is that it spells the sad and inevitable end of asparagus season. Woe!
I picked up a pint of local strawberries and a half dozen beautifully ripe apricots today (I think the apricots are from California). After I accidentally ate half the strawberries standing in front of the fridge (which will be a frequent occurrence whilst strawberry season continues) I made a simple fruit salad with yogurt sauce.
- 1 apricot, pitted and cut into 16 pieces (8 wedges, halved)
- 16 small strawberries, hulled (take the green bit off)
- 1/4 c plain yogurt (I used 2.5% fat)
- 1 tsp white sugar (or less if you prefer)
- Seeds from 1″ piece of vanilla bean (cut an inch of seed, split it open, the scrape out the goopy paste in the middle — that goop is the seeds and is awesome)
- Mix yogurt, vanilla seeds, and sugar together in a small bowl. Stick in the fridge for 10 mins or so, then stir again.
- Put apricot cubes and strawberries in a bowl, top with vanilla yogurt. Eat!
Pretty tasty. This was dessert after a dinner of tilapia (a ridiculously boring fish), sweet potato, and asparagus. Yum.