The local health-food shop stocks some seriously tasty organic short-grain brown rice. This recipe makes enough for 3-4 meals, easy.
- 2 1/3 cups short grain brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil (peanut, whatever)
- Rince uncooked rice three times and drain well.
- Put the 4c water on to boil in the kettle. This will boil separately from the rice to start.
- Heat oil over med high heat in a lidded sauce pan. Saute uncooked rice for a few mins, stirring constantly.
- Pour boiling water over rice. Give a quick stir, then cover and turn heat to low (I just put it on minimum). Cook for 45 mins undisturbed.
- After 45 mins, turn off heat and let sit for 5-10 mins.
I’m not a huge fan of regular white rice, but this stuff is great. Sauteing the uncooked rice in the oil for a few mins brings out a nice rich, nutty flavour.