I made this the other night and served over NY strip steaks. Yum.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, rough dice
- 1 1/2 c Cremini (or white) mushrooms, thick slices
- 1 1/2 c Shiitake mushrooms, caps only, thick slices
- 1/2 c beef stock (Knorr stock-in-a-box is fine)
- 1/2 c dry sherry
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a deep skillet at medium. Saute shallot for 5-7 mins. Add mushrooms, saute for a further 10-15 mins until mushrooms have released most of their moisture.
- Add beef stock and sherry and turn up to med-high or high and reduce for 5-7 mins or so, or until the sauce has thickened sufficiently. Don’t worry too much about over-boiling it — just leave it on there until it looks like a sauce and not a soup. Stir frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in butter until melted. Spoon over steaks.
This would also be pretty awesome with chicken, but I’d use chicken instead of beef stock. Could be good with some fresh chopped tarragon stirred in at the end as well.